Pajamas for babies are expensive! So far I have gotten all of Lily's pajamas off of eBay, but now that she is getting older used clothes are harder to find in good condition. Instead of paying $10-$20 for a pair of pajamas, I decided to make her some.
I couldn't find a pattern for pajama pants for babies, so I made one myself.
DISCLAIMER - I have never been taught how to make my own patterns. This way works for me but I realize it may not be the best or most precise way of doing things.
1. Start with a pair of pants that fits the way you want it to.
2. Fold the pants in half lengthwise. Put the outside edge of the leg against the edge of the pattern paper you are using. I use tracing paper, but I know the paper doctors use for their exam tables works as well. I have been told you can find that paper at any medical supply store.
3. Trace along the outside of the pants, making sure the outside edge of the pants stays even with the outside edge of the paper. If the waistband has elastic, stretch the elastic out as far as you can to trace.
4. I added 1 inch to the bottom of the pant leg. I then added 1/2 inch to the whole right side of the pattern (inseam and crotch). I also added 1 1/2 inches to the top of the pattern (waist).
5. Pin pattern to the fabric and cut 2 pieces on the fold. (In the picture above, the left edge goes along the fold.) I made a 12 month size pattern, and needed 1/2 yard of fabric. Measure your pattern after you have created it to figure out how much fabric you need.
6. If you have a surger and wish to finish all of the raw edges, surge along the top and bottom of both pieces you just cut out (the bottom of the leg and the waist). If you don't have a surger this step is not necessary.
7. Fold each piece in half lengthwise with right sides together.
8. Starting at the point of the crotch, sew down the pant leg. I used a 1/2 inch seam allowance since I had added 1/2 inch to the right side of my pattern. Do this for both pieces.
9. You should have 2 separate pant legs now with the tops unfinished. With right sides together, pin the two pieces together matching the unfinished edges of the fabric. This crotch seam should be in the shape of a U. Sew together. I used a 1/2 inch seam allowance. I also sewed this seam twice to strengthen it.
10. If you are not using a surger, turn the top of the waist under 1/4 inch and press. Sew into place. If you are using a surger this part should already be surged so you can skip this step.
11. Turn the waist 1 1/4 inches to the inside. Press.
12. Decide where you want your button holes. Mark with pins. I did mine 1 inch from the middle seam of the pants on the front side.
13. Unfold the waist so it isn't turned inside anymore. Make buttonholes where you have marked. After your button holes are made, turn the waist in again and re-press if necessary. Pin into place.
14. Sew along the waist leaving a 1 inch seam allowance.
15. Measure the elastic to the desired length. I did this by putting the pants on my daughter and measuring what the elastic needed to be and adding 1 inch.
16. Safety pin the elastic and drawstring together. I used ribbon as the drawstring. Feed through one button hole, around the waistband.
17. The drawstring should come out of the other buttonhole, but the elastic out of the same one it went in. I pinned the drawstring into place so I didn't lose it.
18. Sew together the elastic. I sewed 1 inch on top of each other using the zig-zag stitch, since I had added 1 inch to the length of elastic I needed.
19. Feed the elastic back into the waist band so you can't see it. Feed the drawstring so both ends are equal. The drawstring on these pants is just for looks, so I sewed along the back of the pants over the elastic and drawstring to keep in place. This way if you tug on one side of the drawstring it doesn't feed the whole thing through. Also, since it's for an infant, she can't get the drawstring out and accidentally choke or get strangled by it.
20. Turn each pant leg under 1 inch. Press and/or pin into place. Sew into place.
21. Since I used ribbon as the drawstring I singed the ends with a lighter to prevent fraying. You could also tie a knot in each end.
*Notice how the left side the dogs are face up, and the right side the dogs are face down...I wasn't paying a lot of attention when I was cutting this particular pair out. (I blame it on the episode of cake boss that was on at the time.)
The finished product! I made 10 pair total. I had coupons and the fabric was on sale, so it only ended up costing me 88 cents a pair!
See the matching tops I made here.
See the matching tops I made here.